Saturday, September 21, 2013

Intentional or Haphazard
By Hallie Gipson

“In the morning, O Lord, You will hear my voice;
In the morning I will order my prayer to You
and eagerly watch.”   Psalm 5:3 (NASB)

As I was sitting in my favorite place on the sun porch this morning, the clock was chiming 9:00 a.m. --- well past the hour I usually get out of bed to spend my first waking moments with the Lord.  I had allowed myself the luxury of an extra hour’s sleep. By the time I got out of bed, the coffee was brewing and my husband was already on the porch watching the much-needed rain quench the parched earth.

The morning progressed as I read e-mails on my iPhone, ate breakfast, made a few phone calls, and completed kitchen cleanup.  There was nothing ‘wrong’ with these activities and some of them are a necessary part of my day, but the end result was a lack of intentionality in pursuing time with Lord.  I did not purposely seek the Lord before seeking to fill my time in other ways.

Is it any wonder, then, that focusing on God’s Word and prayer were so difficult?!   I suddenly became acutely aware of the subtle ways I allow things of this world -- people, problems, daily tasks, etc. -- to creep into my thoughts.  When God’s Word is not the first thing I read and when my first words of the day are not spoken in prayer, then the ‘world’ has already invaded my thoughts.

Armed with renewed understanding, my approach to my quiet-time once again becomes God-aware and intentional rather than something I haphazardly insert into my day if there is time. It serves to remind me that whether I spend 10 minutes or an hour with the Lord in the morning, that time is vitally important – it helps me to “Set your (my) mind on the things above, not on the things that are on the earth.”  Colossians 3:2 (NASB) (emphasis mine)

Prayer:
Father, thank You that You do not judge or condemn me, but by Your Holy Spirit’s presence, You speak truth to my heart. Plant within my heart a desire to read Your Word and spend time with You with an intentionality that speaks of my love for You.  Forgive me for placing other things before my time with You.   Amen.

“Establish Your word to Your servant, As that which produces reverence for You.”   Psalm 119:38 (NASB)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Good Friday By Shirley Wiggins   “ The Son of Man must be delivered over to the hands of sinners, be crucified and on the third day be raise...