Friday, January 23, 2015

God's Attributes and Names

By Hallie Gipson

It’s hard to believe that we have passed the mid-point of January 2015 and are well into the New Year! But for some of us who can get a bit behind at times, I’m still thinking about the ‘new-ness’ of the year and what that means in my life.

The New Year is definitely about new starts, new resolutions, and new projects. It can also be about new ways to approach ‘routines’ that have become lifeless and without the same energy and passion we once had for them.

My quiet time is definitely in need of a new start and a fresh approach! I know God is always near, but my problem is approaching Him in a focused and Christ-centered way --- dwelling on who He is in order to prepare myself to approach His throne.

This is not a new problem for me, but one I have struggled with more than once in my journey with the Lord. In the past, I found it helpful to use the alphabet to jump-start my alone time with the Lord. And that’s what I will be doing through the blog in the next several weeks. I will be taking the letters of the alphabet in sequential order and listing some of God’s attributes or names along with Scripture that corresponds.

I hope you will join me in this fresh approach and that God will use it in a powerful way in your life!

My prayer as we approach God in this New Year comes straight from His word:
“Establish your word to your servant, As that which produces reverence for you.”  Psalm 119:38 (NASB)

Alpha
Revelation 21:5, 6  “And He who sits on the throne said . . . “I am the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give to the one who thirsts from the spring of the water of life without cost.” (NIV)

Revelation 22:13  “I am the Alpha and Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.”  (NIV)

Awesome
Psalm 47:2  “How awesome is the Lord Most High, the great King over all the earth!” (NIV)

Psalm 66:5  “Come and see what God has done, how awesome His works on man’s behalf.” (NIV)

Psalm 68:35  “You are awesome, O God, in your sanctuary.”  (NIV)

Psalm 111:9  “He provided redemption for his people; he ordained His covenant forever –- holy and awesome is his name.” (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Good Friday By Shirley Wiggins   “ The Son of Man must be delivered over to the hands of sinners, be crucified and on the third day be raise...